Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Ravenous Match

I'm in love with The Hunger Games trilogy. 

Oh, wait. You didn't know that?  Hm... Ravenous

We obviously aren't close friends... or facebook friends... or you've never read this blog before... who are you?

Well, in case you DIDN'T know, I'm in love with The Hunger Games trilogy.  Therefore, when my good friend, Spencer, asked if I wanted to go see the first film a few hours before premier time I pretty much all but jumped out of my seat, screaming yes into the phone.  Well, I might have done that, actually... Yep.  I did.

Last Thursday, I geared up after my English Methods class and got my junior mints and honey wheat pretzels (no Diet Coke - I know... I've only had ONE in the whole month of March!  Be proud.) and showed up early enough to get pictures with the movie poster - a legit and necessary tradition - and be there for the drawings (at least Tanner won something).  It was just such a FUN atmosphere.  Everyone was SO excited and you could feel the excitement in the theater. Check out the pictures of me and my friend, Megan, sporting a Katniss-like braid and me in my Katniss's song shirt!  Haha...



After the film, I was reeling.  I really love discussing a film right after I've watched it, and greatly anticipated films I want to talk about even more.  So, as soon as I hopped in the car I was analyzing pieces of the script, creative approach to elements of the set and costumes, each actors portrayal of their character, and the themes of the story.  It enveloped my mind for the next few days and was only sated by my need to do school work and have a successful social life.  Haha!  I finally saw the movie for the second time this past Friday (helping my mom's school with the middle school reward party at Thanksgiving Point cinema) and it was interesting to be able to watch more analytically... well, other than having to listen to the "peanut gallery commentary" coming from about 200 students.  Haha!  That was an experience within itself.

SLIGHT Spoilers Below - You've been warned:

Anyway, for a book to film adaptation it was really strong and well-done.  I know there were pieces I might have liked to see more developed (i.e. Katniss and Peeta's convo about what was going to happen now that they were back and what was expected of them), but I felt they did a good job of picking and choosing what would make the story cohesive for ALL audience members - not only those who have read the books.  I know that some details were slightly changed (i.e. costume colors or designs), but I felt like they did what worked for "Hollywood" and on-camera without taking away of adding too much to the original story.  It was probably the best book to film adaptation I have seen in a LONG time... 

I know they worked really closely with Suzanne Collins (the writer) on the film script, so that's probably why it was so close.  Yes, J.K. Rowling worked on the HP movie scripts, but from my understanding, not as closely or regularly.  I love how involved Collins was in this process, because I think that's what made the huge difference.  It's also great how the actors are all so passionate about the story and the themes... I felt that showed in the acting. I was a BIT worried about their choice for Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) in that his look was different from what I expected, but I knew before he was a good actor and had faith he could pull it off - which, he did in my opinion.  Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) did a great job as well!  I didn't know she was nominated for an Academy Award in the past though for Winter's Bone... I missed that one.

Moral of this tale?  I loved the first movie.  I love the books, and love the first movie... I'm excited to watch the story grow through the next films as well.  Oh - and to read the books again this summer.  Haha!  No, but really...

Yep.  I love The Hunger Games.  
*muah*

Sidenote: I can not read any more reviews of this movie... It tends to happen the author of these reviews, or the comments below are by people who have not read the book and therefore are missing the point... it's rather frustrating. You don't have to read the book first, but don't expect the same power behind the message. Sometimes the messages developed more throughout the trilogy and not only in the first book. Had to get that out there...

Song of the Day:  Since I'm so Hunger Games happy, I've been listening to the soundtrack in my car (really great!) this past week.  I fell in love with a few songs and am sure I'll post a few this week.  The first is Taylor Swift's second song on the album, "Eyes Open."  It's a GREAT running song, let me tell ya!  Haha... Enjoy!

No comments: