Friday, October 9, 2009

Annoyed Musings and My Declaration

I am SO tired of the negativity. I absolutely LOVE politics and talking about current issues. I love political debate and researching the potential bills, etc for our country. I enjoyed working for different campaigns in the past, especially during the year of a Presidential Election. I love that I have friends who are also interested in the well-being or our country and it's citizens. That being said, I am SO tired of the negativity.

For those who really know me, you know that I am all about expression of one's feelings. I often find myself overly passionate about things and just letting my mouth run. I have really made an attempt this past year to be careful with that. I have hurt or offended a lot of people in the past. Not that I do not speak my mind... Haha! I in no way suggesting that expression of personal feelings on certain issues or political ideas is a bad thing. However, it gets hard to read people's blogs, twitter, facebook, etc. and see only a million negative comments.

Sidenote: I know, that's an exaggeration. Also, I know that not all my friends are doing that.

Currently, one may or may not agree with the choices our president is making regarding the health care bill. I'm not going to play the internet games of "he said, she said" or "Who's Right? Who's Wrong?" I do not have enough research to have a conclusive argument. I hear to much of the "he said, she said" I spoke of above. Besides, that is not what I am writing about today. If you want to know my current thoughts regarding the bill, let me know.

I have spent a lot of time thinking and studying out this issue. Being a 23 year old, about to turn 24, who has a job with no benefits or health care, I am freaking out a bit. The economy has not allowed me find a job offering these yet, and I feel scared to know that in less than a month, I will have no more health care. What if I get in an accident? What if I get really ill? What if I can't afford to buy the daily meds I need to stay healthy and functioning?

I think that those in my current position will have a different view than those who have never gone through those type of scared feelings. We all face fears about our health (physically, mentally, spiritually), but it's chilling to think that in a month all those expenses will be costing a lot more and a lot more out of pocket. I've actually been really struggling with this...

Sidenote: I know that it'll be fine - things aren't horrible and won't suddenly become so when I'm off health care. But if you have never been in this spot before, you might not grasp that it really is a scary place to be.

All I want to say is that America needs something in place that can help those individuals who are hard working, tax paying, really trying to do their part within society, are not offered benefits and can not afford to pay for certain things regarding their health care. I'm gonna be real and say that I'm hatin' on the freeloaders too... those who do nothing and feed off of our tax dollars and money to get a hand-out. I'm not talking about those who are merely going through a tough time and can't help where they're at. There's a difference in those who need a hand up, and those who prefer to stay down.

I'm also hatin' on the fact that I'm a tax paying citizen who works hard (is going to be getting a second job) and doesn't get health care, but there are some who do nothing (yes, for a lack of trying) and they're getting my money. I hate that just as much as the next person... However, I'm not that. I am working and paying my taxes, and yet... in three weeks, I won't have health care.

Sidenote: I don't need everyone to email me and tell me about cheap plans, etc. Thank you for the sentiment... My point is that I should be getting good coverage for the work I do, and so should many others that are receiving nothing.

There has GOT to be an intelligent way to make people responsible and accountable for choosing to be lazy, and blessing those who are trying with all their might to make ends meet and simply falling short on their own. It's like the Atonement - guffaw if you must, but it's about making people accountable for their actions and judging THOSE actions, rather than a number on a pay stub or hour an employee is offered by a boss.

Now, relating to the actual bill... I'm not going to talk about my stance right now because I'm still doing my research. However, I will say that the above thoughts will be driving me in my research.

Now, on to one more thing...

Whether you think things are ridiculous or not, getting angry over the President of our country winning the Nobel Peace Prize is just asinine. It is. You don't have to LOVE him or even like him, but no one should be ANGRY that our President has been given the award. He didn't ask for it.

I'm not saying that he has or has not done enough to receive the award. It might not be the best choice (or even a valid choice) in many minds. I understand someone being baffled. I UNDERSTAND. It seems a bit premature. However, being angered and upset over it seems to me another reason for some people to complain or point a negative finger. I just think that many individuals I know or have been associated with are finding reasons to gripe & find fault.

I know that some people who read this blog may believe this is aimed in your direction. It's not. It's aimed at no one... This is merely my annoyed musings and declaration that I think I may avoid facebook and twitter when something political (or involving political people) comes about.

One more thought - If you don't like a bill to be passed, etc., get involved. There is SO much you can do. Instead of spending the time to write on here about how horrible or wonderful a bill is, talk to your local leaders - get involved and make a change. We ARE the voice... too many just don't know how to use their voice in the right way.

*muah*

Song of the Day: This song is one that I came to ADORE over General Conference weekend, but downloaded a bit before... It's called Saviour by Lights. I really love it - who says that upbeat music can't be inspirational and teach you somthing? Not I! Haha... I love the line, "It won't ever change if you want it to stay the same... Sooner than later, I'll need a saviour." Sooner THAN (not or) later.... beautiful sentiment. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Amanda K said...

I love you. And I totally agree on both points.

However, after living in the "inner city" for the past few years, I just want to add a few things.

There are very FEW people who are just lazy, good for nothin', gettin' welfare people. It's not the common perception and I don't think people really understand it without living in it.

I could probably write a book about this, so I'll just end it there, but I just had to say it :)

Thanks for your blog!

Bob said...

yesyesyesyesyes!

Having been involved with politics for several years (and even occasionally getting paid for it), I have been frustrated with these things and guilty of them, usually at the same time.

I'd like to thank you for getting and being involved in the process. Most people get caught up in National politics, however, you can have a much bigger impact getting involved with local campaigns/issues. Plus, local races (school board, City Council) have more impact on your day to day life than Presidential politics.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Hugs,

-Bob

Linze Kate said...

In relation to the comment above - the top one - I agree with her sentiment that many people aren't just lazy, but I have definitely seen BOTH sides.

I've lived all around the US - from small cities populated at 5,000 people (Wyoming) or big cities, right near inner city (Philadelphia)... It really goes both ways. Also, I'm not talking only about people on the streets. There are other people who work the system in a negative way at times... making it next to impossible for us to use the system correctly.

There's two sides to every coin (unless it's one-sided... hm. :P) and we have to see from both sides. Thank you for reminding us all of that! ;)
*muah*

Mike said...

One of the reasons you are fantistic. Love the post. I too am very tired of negativity, especially the hate-mongering, name-calling, and finger-pointing that have replaced civil, rational discussion of policies in this nation. I can honestly say that I agree with everything you wrote here. Thanks for restoring my faith in society. :-)

KFMumzee said...

Thanks for your post. I'm glad to see someone who is researching current events. Regarding people being upset because Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. I think people are angry because he hasn't done anything to deserve the honor. The nominations had to be in less than two weeks after he took office. To date he still hasn't earned the award and it was given to him with the "hope" that he would do something. Gandhi, Reagan and Pope John Paul II never received the award. There were other nominees who have truly merited receiving it. Maybe President Obama will be worthy of the honor some day, I hope so, but he is not yet.