Sunday, December 18, 2011

Dare to Have a Purpose Firm. Dare to Make it Known.

I've been contemplating the power to choose We make choices everyday- some big and some small... miniscule perhaps.  However, choices lead us to where we are today and create us into who we are today - even the miniscule ones.  I would say that we aren't shaped by our small choices to eat an salad or a sandwich, but I know a pair of thighs that would say otherwise... :)

I am mostly thinking about the simple choices we have in our lives to just do the right thing when it counts.  We have the chance to be something - to stand for what we believe in within all aspects of our lives.  It's hard sometimes - a lot of times.  It can be the peer pressure or just habits we fall into... We have to know what we really stand for and who we are truly striving to become and live that way.  Why portray something your not and live in a way you don't really want to be living? 

I like the following quote - you can take out the first part of you aren't LDS:

Dare to be a Mormon.
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm.
Dare to make it known.
- Pres. Thomas S. Monson

Now, I'm and LDS girl, and the line I am thinking along mostly pertains to my religious convictions.  However, this can pertain to anything that you believe.  I'm passionate about education and funding for the arts.  I'm passionate about film and creating good, positive forms of media.  I can stand up for those things, and I can make my purpose known.   I can fight for things that I believe in, even when no one else is on my side.  It's hard as all get-out, but I can do it!  I'm pretty sure you can too....

Choose to do the right thing - even if it makes you look "uncool," or feels awkward at first, or even if it's really hard.  Do what you believe is right - do what you know in your heart is right.  Stand up for those things that you are passionate about, and dare to make your purpose known.  No one is perfect - no one is asking for that (hopefully)... However, we can always strive to be better.

"Try a little harder to be a little better." 
 - President Gordon B. Hinckley
*muah*

Song of the Day: My friends, Nicole and Cameron (love them!), sang this as part of a medley of Christmas songs for the ward Christmas party last weekend.  I have heard it before, but only once... I never realized the pure awesomeness of this song.  Here is Relient K with "I Celebrate the Day."  At least listen through the first chorus - then you'll be hooked!  Haha... Enjoy! 


Honorable Mention: I love the piano.  I wish that I could play better - I need to take lessons, but growing up I always go stuck with teachers that I could not relate to and grew tired of scales.  I know - you have to learn the little things to get to the big things... I just started teaching myself one year and created arrangements (clarinet and oboe in middle and high school made learning piano ten times easier), but haven't put the practice in that it takes to be great... I suppose I'll simply stick to singing and just do piano here and there for now.  ANYWAY, I couldn't find this song anywhere to share so I'm making mention of Chris Rice's Christmas instrumental tracks - just piano! His version of "Angels We Have Heard on High" is wonderful!  Check him.

No comments: