Monday, November 28, 2011

Who Would Imagine A King?

"The best place to get your identity is from being a son or daughter of God."
 - Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Sometimes, I forget the meaning behind the quote above.  I feel very blessed that I know who I am, and that I have come to have a relationship with my Father in Heaven and his son, Jesus Christ.  I know I wrote a serious post last time too, but bear with me for one more - I promise, I'll return to writing about my highly awkward moments, misspoken words, and witty, somewhat-cynical responses to the world or life in general.  However, for now, I just need to express myself spiritually.

I know that I am a daughter of God, but I often get lost in the labels that otherwise define me.  For example:

Actress
               Singer (A favorite)
          Woman
                           Grad Student (SO happy about this one!)
                     Funny

Those are all great things to be defined by, but they should not be the foundation for how I look at myself.  In most of my wards I have been generally known as the musical one.  I sing in bars or clubs and I perform in musicals... but I haven't focused on that as much in my life right now.  I noticed the other day that I'm not the musical one at all (we have SO many amazing musicians in our ward - it's great ear-candy!) in our ward... now, I tend to be looked at by many as the actress.  I'm the dramatic one who likes to make-up stories, create scenarios, and play-up peoples emotions (in a good way, I hope) to get a laugh.  I really love making people laugh, and though, I don't do it on purpose, I think I subconsciously have a drive for wanting to be funny.  So, in this ward, I have been dubbed as the actress.

However, I am more than that.  I shouldn't let anything make me feel like those labels, even if they are positive, hold me to any standard or determine who I am.  I am a daughter of God - divine in right and nature. I hold all the potential to become whomever I desire.  Positive labels and just fine... but they do not define my entirety.

Then, there are negative labels.  I think every individual struggles with negative labels and how things people have said about them stick and make an emotional or psychological impression.

             Less Intelligent (because of an "easy" major)
                               Fat or "big boned"
       Terrible Speller (truth)  
Loud (touche - I've come to embrace this one with high esteem)

I have overcome most of those labels and grown pretty confident in myself - largely in thanks to the atonement.  I have days or moments of inner-frustration, but overall, I am very content with who I am becoming and how I am improving each day.

There are also just ways people find to set themselves apart.  I'm liberal.  I'm a theater major.  I'm a nanny.  I'm Dutch.  I'm white (black on the in, baby!).  I'm Mormon/LDS.  I'm a Grad Student.  I'm a singer.  I'm a woman.  I'm "big bones," with awesome hip that do NOT lie... for real.  I'm a writer, a dancer, a sister.... I am so many things.  However, the MOST important way to define who I am is as a daughter of God.  I know that with THAT knowledge, I can do anything and BE anything.  When you know who you are, you want to live-up to all that God has in store for you because you understand your place in His kingdom... It's kind of great.

I know that my Father in Heaven lives and that He loves me.  I know that I am His daughter and an heir to His kingdom and blessings.  I know that I have been given so many talents and defining factors by Him, and I am thankful for each of those - good and bad - because they have made me into who I am today.  Cliche?  Perhaps.  True?  Yep.

I am just really thankful for the knowledge I have pertaining to who I really am in this world... cause it is so hard to get lost.  I'm thankful, and it's the perfect time of the year to express that thanks.
*muah*

Song of the Day:  It is FINALLY time for Christmas music!  Now, I'll still suggest some non-Christmas jams to check out, but today this just seemed all too appropriate.  It pertains not ONLY to Christ, but to who we are and will become.  Here is Whitney Houston's "Who Would Imagine a King."  Read the lyrics (below).  Listen to the song.  Think about it.  And... Enjoy!

Mommies and daddies always believe
That their little angels are special indeed
And you could grow up to be anything
But who would imagine a king?
A shepherd or teacher is what you could be
Or maybe a fisherman out on the sea
Or maybe a carpenter building things
But who would imagine a king?
It was so clear when the wise men arrived
And the angels were singing your name
That the world would be different 'cause you were alive
That's what heaven stood still to proclaim
One day an angel said quietly
That soon he would bring something special to me
And of all of the wonderful gifts he could bring
Who would imagine, who could imagine,
Who would imagine a king?

No comments: