Thursday, September 19, 2013

8 Months to Sexy: Recipe Edition!

So, as I've been on my "path to sexy" (or sexier) I have needed some good recipes to keep me sane.  Here's the deal, I'm all about quality of life... and I want to eat good food!  I am not going to eat things that taste horrible - I'm sorry.  I'm not going to do it... I find joy in eating good food, which IS okay, but it should be good tasting and good for you.  I'm all about health because I'm all about quality of life and I've come to find that IS genuinely a greater quality of life.

So, let's get to why you're really reading this... the recipes!  I've got a few up my sleeves that I've gotten from others and adapted to what works for me.  Do the same!  Adapt them if you don't have something at your house or if you don't love the taste completely because of one ingredient. Now, adapting by adding chocolate syrup to everything is probably not the best choice.... probably not.  So, still make smart choices!

Here are some of my new faves: (Some sounded CRAY at first! Yes, CRAY.)

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes!
(You can have pancakes?!  Yep - and they're GOOD!)

6 egg whites (or do 4 egg whites and two full eggs if you'd like!) 
1 cup rolled oats, dry (steel-cut are best)
1 cup cottage cheese 
1-2 tsp. raw sugar or honey 
2 teaspoons cinnamon (a natural metabolism booster!)
1 teaspoon vanilla 

Instructions: Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Heat a griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle. I actually just pour it from the blender and eye how big I want my pancakes.  Flip when they start to bubble and cook until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying the griddle as needed. (Thanks, Court!)


I top these with bananas I fry with a little olive oil or coconut oil and fresh strawberries than a little honey... Yep, I do add a little sugar because I HATE the sugar-free stuff.  I tried it, hated it, and I decided to take a different route.  You don't need much syrup (use pure maple) or honey when you use the bananas though - they make it super sweet and these pancakes are already super moist! 

Parmesan Broccoli 
(Seriously - INCREDIBLE!)

1 big head of broccoli
Olive Oil
Salt n' Pepper
2-3 Tbsp of Garlic (depends on how strong you like the garlic taste)
Lemon juice
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

First, take time to wash the broccoli and dry it off.  Seriously - do that first.  Then, pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees (F).  Put the broccoli on a cookie sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. I just eyeball it - never measure it really.  I put olive oil in my hands and rub it on all the broccoli so it's coated, but not dripping off.  Then, I put a little salt over it all and a good amount of pepper.  Now add the garlic!  I use pre-chopped garlic bought at the store.  However, the recipe I found says around 4 cloves if that's your route.  I sprinkle it on and then rub it around with my hands - I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty!  But do wash them in between steps... Haha!  Next, cook the broccoli for about 20-25 minutes, letting it brown (not black) on the edges.  Let the broccoli cool for a few minutes and then toss with lemon juice - don't pour on a ton!  Just put some in your hands and toss it with the juice.  LAST, add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and toss!  It's like veggie candy... AWESOME!

These are two I have discovered... more to come shortly. :) Enjoy and PLEASE share any you come across in the comments or via my email.  I am dying for new recipes to experiment with and eat!  Next time, I'll post on black bean brownies and cauliflower pizza crust - both BOMB! :)
*muah*

Song of the Day: I love this jam!  Here is Ellie Goulding with "Burn."  SOOOOOO good!

1 comment:

eden said...

i made this on monday and i'll be making it again tonight - http://www.howsweeteats.com/2013/07/easy-chickpea-curry-with-coconut-rice/

easy, and wonderful, and easy, and more wonderful. i'm a huge fan. and, i'm not eating gluten, dairy, or sugar right now, and this fits that criteria. but it's also amazing. have i said that already? (: