Thursday, October 15, 2009

Generally Conferencing with the LDS Folk!

I started this entry a week and half ago, but don't wanna fix each time it states "this weekend..." Thus, just know that General conference took place the first weekend of October! Now - here I go:

This past weekend I had the amazing opportunity to hear from the leaders of my church - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. People from all over the world tuned in four times (five for the guys) over Saturday and Sunday to listen to the apostles and our prophet share spiritual upliftment and hear where we all could improve as human beings and members of the church. This General Conference (as it is called) happens Bi-annually in the first weeks of October and April, and each time I look forward to it.

When I was little I use to look forward to General Conference when I was little because it meant I didn't have to sit through church meetings for three hours in a dress. I detested dresses and skirts back then. During GC I would lay on the floor at home listening (or coloring) and wear pajamas - heaven. Now, I look forward to GC for different reason... I love listening to the advice of our leaders and trying to improved myself from their counsel and stories. I find myself renewed in my beliefs and convictions to try and be the best me. My understanding of the gospel doctrine is strengthened and I always learn new things. When I was five I never thought that I would have enjoyed the actual talks during GC, but now I have really come to be excited about them.

This past weekend I had a few favorite talks... The first was President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk, The Love of God. He states that God does not need us to love him, "But oh, how we need to love God!" He really made me realize that the world spends most of their time denying God literally or through their actions, and refuses to turn to him until they absolutely NEED him. However, people's happiness would be more constant and they probably wouldn't be as flustered in their trials if they CONSTANTLY felt that love he provides when we turn to him.

Here are some additional quotes that I LOVED from this weekend:

"Truth is not relevant."

"They think because they feel good, they are fine. That is not always true..."

"We would not accept the yoke of Christ, so now we are condemned by the yoke of Caesar." - Elder Christofferson

"Ofter we live side by side, but don't speak heart to heart." - President Monson

"They had the equipment... but they chose not to use it." - Sister Dibb

" ...[They] never felt a twinge of regret for being a little too kind." - President Monson

"We often find ourselves swimming against the current." - President Monson

AND, here are my two FAVORITE quotes of the weekend:

"Don't hold onto fear because of possible faliure!" - Sister Dibb (NO FEAR!)

"Mere wanting is no guide for moral conduct." - Elder Todd D. Christofferson

I think I truly grew and improved myself from these sessions of General Conference - I would love to hear what other's favorite talks and quotes were, as well as what they learned. I just want to reiterate that I know I have a Father in Heaven who lives and loves me. I know that I am a child of God and that I have the ability to become like God, and live as he does (with Him) one day. I know that the Book of Mormon is a true book and that there IS a prophet speaking to us today - a real prophet is present on this earth today... and we are SO blessed to have the opportunity every six months to hear him and the apostles give new counsel (or remind us of former counsel).

*muah*

Song of the Day: The song for today is an oldie mix, but was actually chosen because of the VIDEO that goes with it. The songs are a compilation of Michael Jackson hits - CLASSIC. The video has seven "people" and star a boy named Sam Tsui. Why is this video so amazing? ALL of the boys in the video are Sam Tsui (except the beat boxer on the right). NO JOKE. With some creative editing and extreme talent, Sam and a friend were able to splice together video footage of Sam singing ALL the melody lines and the harmony! He even "interacts" with the others "hims" on stage... CRAZY! He's got a sick voice too... This video is seriously TIGHT! Enjoy and look up more on Sam Tsui!

1 comment:

Adam R. said...

That video is sweet! However, I think that one of the boys is not that Sam dude. I could be mistaken.