Sunday, August 2, 2009

Slide of Broken Dreams... and the Silver Lining...

Here I am with way too much to expound upon from my past month of life, and yet... I have no idea what to write. I just need to pick on of the subjects I want to write about and start... Sooooooo, we'll start here:

This past week I went to the Seven Peaks with my bro & sister-in-law. Looks fun right? Yea... get ready to see the "other side..."

All was bright and happy until we got ourselves a double tube... There were three of us, so, to be safe we also obtained a complimentary ride tube. We had spent an hour and a half going down the rides that didn't require tubes, but thought it would be fun to do two or three tube rides too... So, we walked up the ramp to proceed down one of the rides that required a tube.

When we reached the top of the ramp ride entitled, "Tube Run," which had NO LINE - Bingo! We instantly chose that ride. Dang you, Tube Run... Dang you. We decided Cami would go down first on the complimentary tube and Derek and I would follow on the double tube. She went down, we hopped on, we were told to ride the right way and switched our feet around as to not get hurt, and then we were let down the water slide...

After about five second of amazing thrill and excitement, we headed into the second (yea, only the second) curve only to have the tube fly onto the side of the giant slide and out from under us, causing us to completely flip. I hit my head, but was fine, so I sat up and looked at Derek, hoping we could just jump on the tube and continue down... His face was complete horror. Now, I have been writing rather dramatically, because that's what I do, but Derek's face really had more terror etched into it than I had ever seen. He started scream/crying, holding his shoulder, and I stood up as best I could to secure the tube and get Derek back into the tube.

Suddenly another little girl came barreling down the tube, knocking me over and hitting into Derek. I grabbed the tube, had Derek climb in, and then I rode behind the tube as I tried to make it down the rest of the slide without hitting too many curves at high velocity so Derek didn't fall off. We got to the bottom before any other little girls or boys could run into us again, and I hollered to the lifeguard to halt the ride and get an EMT.

It really was terrifying as I ran to the car to pull it around and call our parents to let them know what had just happened...

From Seven Peaks on out we had to take Derek to the ER, thinking they could just pop the shoulder back into its socket. When we got the ER they told us that from the X-Rays it showed it was something that they couldn't deal with there and we would have to go to orthopedics doctor - luckily, he got in the next day... (I went with Derek and Cami to the doctors...)

What was wrong? A complete shoulder separation - I don't know technical terms but you could see in the X-Rays that one bone is sticking over the other bone... The doctor told us surgery would be necessary and that they would probably need to shave some of the one bone off to fit it back into the shoulder area - SICK! It seriously looks AWFUL!

In latest news, he's on medication and resting, but he is hurting SO much... We catch him crying or trying not too... Poor thing. I just feel so bad! They are talking it through with Seven Peaks right now, but frankly, I think that they should pay for it all... Hm. All in all, please keep Derek and Cami in your prayers right now! We had a fast for them today, but the more prayers they have, always the better...

The moral of the story: Don't go to Seven Peaks Water Park.... Or any water park. Ever.

Just kidding... kinda.

Now, there was ONE good thing that came from this for me. I know, I know... what could it be?

When Derek, Cami, and I were sitting in the hospital my first thought was, "Derek needs a blessing." So, I called our friends Brad to see if we could drive over after we were done at the hospital and get Brad and his father to give Derek a blessing. Sure enough, that was completely fine and we went over right as soon as Deek were released from the hospital. When Brad was giving the blessing I was reaffirmed in my decision to marry a worthy priesthood holder in the temple. I thought about how I would feel if my husband didn't hold the priesthood and wasn't able to give our children or myself blessings when we were sick or injured. I thought about not being able to share that important part of my life with the person I most care about... I would really be unhappy. I might have happy times, but I would not be fulfilled or truly content...

I love the gospel and I know that the priesthood is a real power and gift. I want to be able to share my religious idea and ideals with the person I love most...

My "reaffirmation" is the silver lining within this situation. I think it's important to always look for the silver lining in all of life's happenings...

Real moral of the story: Find the moments of growth and learning within each thing that life hands you... and don't go to water parks. Ever.

Anyone wanna go to Lagoon before summer's out?.....

*muah*


Song of the Day: Regina Spektor's new album, "Far," is PHENOMENAL! I truly love it... Some of my favorite songs on there are Dance Anthem of the 80s and Human of the Year. However, my favorite so far, and a song called Genius Next Door. This song is beautiful and amazing... Take a listen, and... Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Ouch! I hope everything works out all right. Too bad I haven't passed the bar yet... :-)

Mindy said...

I am glad he didn't die. It would be horrible to have to put in his obit that he died from a water slide. But really, good he is okay!

To do the link thing on your blog ... When writing your blog you highlight the word you want to be linked. Then you click on the funny green option at the top of the tool bar. If you are in "compose" mode it is between the text color button and the left indentation button. If you are in Edit HTML mode it is between the italic button and the huge quotation button.

When you click on it (with chosen word already highlighted) it will bring up a box that is titled, "Hyperlink."

In the space provided to the right of URL, put in the link you want the word to link to.

Does that make sense? Let me know if not and I will try to explain it better. :)