Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What Once Was

"Maybe the first time that you know you really care about something is when you think about it not being there, and you know - you really know - that the emptiness is as much inside you as outside you." - The Wednesday Wars

"For it falls out, that what we have we prize not to the worth whiles we enjoy it; but being lacked and lost, why, then we rack the value, then we find the virtue that possession would not show us while it was ours. " - Much Ado About Nothing

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone?" - Joni Mitchell

I think that this is often the case in our lives... Once we lose something, or are separated from it, we are torn. We feel loss and pain and by the time we recognize why we feel these emotions of sadness or lack of comfort, it's oft times too late.

Is it just that we want what we don't have, or we truly don't recognize what we once had? Can it be both?

That's the challenge. If you have something you want back in your life, are you longing for it for the correct reasons? Once you figure this out, which only you can do for yourself, then you can decide what the next step should be. Do you venture to regain what you once had, or do you let it go and find yourself at peace with a new path?


I think this is an interesting topic to think about, or discuss.

I'm pretty sure some people just get comfortable and then miss the old because the new is “too new.” However, there are many people who go through their life wishing for "more" and never quite finding it. Especially those individuals who always say, "The next job will be better. The next boy/girl will be a better match for me. The next year's events will make me happier. When I'm one year older, it'll be better..." Statements like that lead to unsettled hearts and unsatisfactory lives.

The realization that you want what once was is hard... cause you simultaneously know that one can rarely get something back to how it once was.... Maybe it can be better though.

I also think that you can have this realization about wanting something that once was back in your life about a person. Yep, I'm pretty sure you can.
*muah*

Song of the Day: There are some great dance songs that I would put up, but this post is too tender to not use a more affectionate song. Thus, I bring you Ray LaMontague's song, Be Here Now. For some who might be wondering where you've heard it before, it is on the 27 Dresses Soundtrack... if they had one that is. Haha! I love this artist – so chill, and SO good. Enjoy!


P.S. Next topic for thought.... We all want peace in our lives. Whether it is peace in the land from war or gang violence, or peace in our personal lives and our homes... We want peace and contentment. We want peace, but what are we willing to do to get it? Results require action.

Food for thought.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would be interested to from where this blog stemmed... because I love it!

My roommate recently asked me how I was able to receive closure after a certain event in my life transpired. I replied that it was only possible with time and allowing myself to realize that I deserve much better. It's just like you say, sometimes you have to find peace with a new path, but also trying to enjoy every minute of your life while you are in it.

Thanks Linze! :)