Thursday, September 27, 2012

Shakespeare Said it Best

I've been recently creating a school unit based around Shakespeare.  I'm planning to teach English or Theater and I figured that this is a subject that could be used in both.  I wanna talk about his life, time era and the culture.  I wanna talk about his writing structure and word creation and how that relates to Dr. Seuss.  I wanna talk about his plays and sonnets and modern adaptations - i.e. She's the Man, 10 Things I Hate About You, Baz Luhrmann's version of Romeo + Juliet.  I get a bit excited thinking about it, and even more so when creating a good lesson plan...

With that, I admit fully that I am a Shakespeare Nerd!  If you asked me in High School I would have claimed that would never be the case, but... I guess some great teacher in college for to me. It's a good thing too - because now I'm forming my own ways to get to students.  Who knows?  Someone might walk out of my classroom loving Shakespeare - or at least not thinking he sucketh.

I can dare to dream, right? :)

Here are some of my favorite quotes as of late....

 Twelfth Night

Love sought is good, but giv'n unsought is better - Olivia

This fellow is wise enough to play the fool And to do that well craves a kind of wit - Viola

Nay, let me alone for swearing - Sir Andrew
(I think this often... :P)

Taming of the Shrew

Who woo'd in haste and means to wed at leisure. - Petruchio

Julius Caesar

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once- Caesar

Midsummer Night's Dream

The course of true love never did run smooth. - Lysander

O, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd! She was a vixen when she went to school; And though she be but little, she is fierce. - Helena

If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumbered here While these visions did appear. - Puck

*muah*

Song of the Day: I was watching my daily allotment of PLL as I sit here sick and Mona sings this song... It's called "In the Eye Abides the Heart."  Say what you will about it being "old school," but I fell in love.  It's gonna be a new favorite for now.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

eden said...

i love that second quote from taming of the shrew.

and you should watch 'much ado about nothing!' i have an edited version (there are some scenes in the unedited pg13 that may not be awesome for high school kids. or for me.) (:

Mike said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the quote by Caesar...from "Julius Caesar"? :-)

Unknown said...

Hi cute girl, just wanted to say hi! Let's find each other on FB, I assume you're on right? Tried to find you but can't!